2. Meanwhile, in a separate pan, put the apples and squash in the chicken stock with some salt. Bring to a fast simmer, and cook until the squash is very soft, about 30 minutes.
3. In a small glass dish, dissolve the curry paste in a bit of warm water, loosely 2 tablespoons. Then pour the curry paste into the pan with the squash.
4. Add the coconut milk and the onion mixture to the squash.
5. Remove the sqaush from heat and, with an emulsion mixer or a blender, puree the soup.
6. Pour it back into the pot and turn the heat on to medium low. Add in the lime juice, salt and pepper, and stir. Cover and cook the soup for 10 minutes until it’s completely warm. Taste and season additionally if desired.
7. On a cutting board, loosely chop the dates and pistachios together. The dates will get gummy, and hold the chopped nuts together. Top the soup with generous spoonfuls of this mixture. Drizzle a small amount of maple syrup on top, and sprinkle with cilantro.
Rockport resident Heather Atwood writes the Food for Thought column weekly. Questions and comments may be directed to email@example.com.