4. Crack the eggs into the bowl used for the mixer.
5. Add sugar to eggs and lightly stir.
6. Beat eggs on high speed until 3 times their original size in volume, about 6 to 7 minutes. Meanwhile, melt the butter.
7. Once your eggs pass the ribbon test, transfer them into a larger bowl and add the vanilla.*
8. Sift flour over egg batter on third at a time, gently folding it into the eggs each time.
9. Add the butter by first adding some batter to the butter pan and mix together. Then fold butter mixture into batter until completely incorporated.
10. Divide the batter in cake pans and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
11. When cakes are cool unfold then from the pan.
* The ribbon test is when you can hold one of the beaters over the pan and the falling batter will hold some shape and ribbon back onto itself.
Courtesy of pastry chef Greg “Mr. Cake” Case, 2012.