EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

June 19, 2013

Bennington Street fire caused by overturned gas container

By Yadira Betances
ybetances@eagletribune.com

---- — LAWRENCE — A gasoline container stored in the cellar and was accidentally knocked over caused Sunday’s fire at 19 Bennington St., officials said.

Lawrence Fire Chief Jack Bergeron said the blaze at the three-story house started in the cellar and caused smoke damage.

The source of ignition may have been the heating equipment and other utilities coming in contact with the gasoline, he said.

“It was a flash fire. It did quite a lot of damage,” Bergeron said. “Much of the wiring was burnt from the flash fire.”

A 10-year-old boy suffered non-threatening burns in the fire that left 12 people homeless.

Bergeron said the fire, which was reported at 5:30 p.m. on Father’s Day, does not seem suspicious.

“From the best that we can determine, it was not intentional,” he said.