EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

Merrimack Valley

June 22, 2013

First Night organization closing

Mayor says event will continue

BOSTON (AP) — The organization that founded and sustained Boston’s annual First Night celebrations is closing down because it’s broke, but Mayor Tom Menino promises the show will go on.

The nonprofit group announced Thursday that it is laying off its small staff and closing its downtown offices by the end of the month.

The New Year’s event started 37 years ago and featured artistic performances, ice sculptures, fireworks and other seasonal celebrations, and was emulated by other cities across the country.

“We just can’t support it anymore,” First Night director Geri Guardino said.

The event’s financial struggles contrast with its popularity, which may have given the public a false sense that the event was stable.

The event drew $474,000 from corporate sponsors 10 years ago. By last year, sponsorships dwindled to $156,000. Contributions from foundations, meanwhile, plunged from $364,000 to less than $50,000. Overall, major funding has fallen 70 percent since 2003.

City officials said they would reach out to the business and philanthropic community to help finance the upcoming New Year’s Eve events. Officials hope another group will step forward to run things, or the city may take over the event.

“We’ll have First Night in Boston,” Menino said. “If we have to take it over, we will. There’s a will and there’s a way.”

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Merrimack Valley

Eagle-Tribune News Videos
Photos of the Week