LAWRENCE — The District Attorney’s Office decided not to prosecute Cameron D’Ambrosio in district court yesterday, ending the case against the Methuen teenager three weeks after a grand jury refused to indict him.
D’Ambrosio, 18, was arrested May 1 and charged with making a terrorist threat for a post on Facebook in which he said he would outdo the Boston Marathon bombing and beat any murder charges brought against him.
Prosecutors dropped the case yesterday during a procedural hearing, said Carrie Kimball Monahan, a spokeswoman for District Attorney Jonathan Blodgett.
“In light of the grand jury’s decision not to issue and indictment, we are pleased that the Commonwealth decided not to pursue this matter further,” said D’Ambrosio’s defense attorney, Geoffrey DuBosque.
D’Ambrosio had been in jail from May 1 until June 6, when a grand jury decided not to indict him on a felony charge of making a terrorist threat. Superior Court Judge John Lu released D’Ambrosio on personal recognizance that afternoon. Yesterday’s decision meant the district attorney would not pursue a misdemeanor charge of making a terrorist threat.
Lu and district court Judge Lynn Rooney ordered D’Ambrosio held without bail in May, a ruling Judge Lu affirmed later that month.
Students at Methuen High, where D’Ambrosio was a senior, reported his Facebook post on May 1 to administrators, who relayed the information to the school resource officer. Police arrested D’Ambrosio later that day, and seized a computer and XBox 360 video game console from his home.
Follow Douglas Moser on Twitter @EagleEyeMoser. To comment on stories and see what others are saying, log on to eagletribune.com.