EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

Merrimack Valley

August 19, 2010

Unlicensed Lawrence motorcyclist dies after crash with SUV

LAWRENCE — A Lawrence man who police said wasn't licensed to drive a motorcycle died from injuries last night after crashing a friend's Yamaha into a sports utility vehicle.

Johnny Guillermo, 25, of 205 Crawford St., was pronounced dead shortly after 10 p.m.— about two hours after the accident on Marston Street, Lawrence Police Chief John Romero said.

"The preliminary investigation determined that he was westbound on Marston Street when he lost control of the motorcycle, went airborne and into the eastbound side of traffic, hitting the SUV," Romero said.

"When we to talked to the motorcycle's owner, he told us that he loaned the bike to a friend. It turned out the friend had a driver's license, but not for a motorcycle," Romero said.

Guillermo was flown by medical helicopter to Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston just as a state police accident reconstruction team was called to the scene in the westbound lane of Marston Street at the bottom of Storrow Street. The unit is routinely called to investigate fatal accidents in the city and crashes where life-threatening injuries are involved.

An ambulance transported Guillermo to Lawrence General Hospital, where he transferred to a medical flight.

No information was available on the occupants of the sports utility vehicle, who appeared to be uninjured. They sat on a jersey barrier a short distance from where the SUV was parked. The Yamaha's headlight remained lit as the machine lay in the street.

Romero said the motorcycle was registered to a man on Oakland Street, but would not identify the owner.

"It's an ongoing investigation right now," Romero said.

"We know the victim wasn't licensed to drive a motorcyle, but don't know whether he had been on one before or had been experienced to ride one," the chief said.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Merrimack Valley

Eagle-Tribune News Videos
Photos of the Week