EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

March 1, 2013

Power line fall scorches Lawrence building

By Yadira Betances
ybetances@eagletribune.com

---- — LAWRENCE — A building at 255 S. Broadway was scorched when a 1,300 volt primary electric line dropped from the pole and landed on the 11/2 story home and store front shortly before 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday.

The incident happened after a car hit the pole, causing it to fall.

“There was no one inside and fortunately there were no injury,” Lawrence fire Deputy Chief Brian Murphy said.

He said the volt traveled through the home leaving scorch marks along the exterior where the overhang meets the building. Inside, light switches were scorched and the electrical fixtures burnt

Murphy estimates the damage to the building at $20,000.