EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

Merrimack Valley

April 1, 2013

Suspect sought in LA abduction of 10-year-old girl

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A transient with a long criminal record is being sought in the kidnapping of a 10-year-old girl who was snatched from her San Fernando Valley home before dawn last week and abandoned hours later in front of a hospital.

Police identified Tobias Dustin Summers, 30, as a suspect Saturday, but they couldn’t elaborate on the motive or what led them to him. They also don’t know if the girl was targeted.

“We have no information that the family knew this individual or that the individual knew any members of the family,” Los Angeles Police Deputy Chief Kirk Albanese said.

About 40 detectives have been investigating since the girl was abducted from her home at around 3 a.m. Wednesday.

“They’re working around the clock until this guy gets captured,” Officer Norma Eisenman, a police spokeswoman, said Sunday. “As of right now, there are no new developments on the case.”

The girl was found about 12 hours after she was abducted, wandering near a Starbucks several miles away.

She was barefoot, had bruises and scratches, and wasn’t wearing the same clothes she had on when she vanished. The girl told police two men she didn’t recognize had taken her from her home.

Police initially said they were looking for two suspects but now are focusing their efforts on Summers.

“This is the only person we are looking for right now,” Albanese said Saturday.

Investigators have said they believe the girl was driven around the San Fernando Valley in a couple of cars and taken to at least two locations, including a storage facility, before she was released.

A passer-by who recognized her picture from media reports saw her outside the Starbucks and called police. The girl had wandered there from the hospital where she was dropped off.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Merrimack Valley

Eagle-Tribune News Videos
Photos of the Week