EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

Merrimack Valley

July 10, 2014

NY sex offender surrenders to police

ANDOVER — A Level 3 sex offender wanted in New York state tried turning himself in to police early the evening of July 4 at the CVS store on Main Street, but it wasn’t until he went to the station several hours later that he was actually arrested.

David A. Adams Jr., 52, of 1505 Herkimer Road, Apt. 24, Utica, N.Y., was wanted by Utica police for failing to register as a sex offender. He had been convicted in 1996 on violent, armed rape charges. Since getting out of jail after an eight- to 16-year jail sentence, he had been required to register as a sex offender.

According to Utica police warrant investigator Timothy Moore, Adams had complied with the law and had registered with local police over the years. But then, several months ago, he disappeared.

Moore said Utica police thought he might have been killed and they were surprised when they got the call over the weekend that Adams was in Massachusetts.

“We were starting to assume something tragic had happened to him,” he said. “I was surprised to hear from him. I’d really like to know how he got there.”

Moore said that Adams may have had some mental health issues that contributed to him leaving Utica and ending up in Massachusetts.

According to two CVS employees who were working the night of July 4, Moore might be right.

The two employees said Adams came into the store around 7:15 p.m. and was talking about how he had walked to Andover from Harvard Square and that he was being sought by police. He told them he was growing tired of being chased and was going to turn himself in.

That’s when the employees called police.

At around 7:30 p.m., police showed up at the CVS and spoke to Adams outside the store. According to the police log, officers reported Adams “wants to turn himself in. He is homeless and thinks he has an outstanding warrant.”

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Merrimack Valley

Eagle-Tribune News Videos
Photos of the Week