EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

Merrimack Valley

July 27, 2013

Firefighters respond to Common Man for electrical problem

WINDHAM — A malfunctioning ballast in a fluorescent light prompted a 911 call yesterday afternoon from the Common Man restaurant at 88 Range Road.

But fire Chief Tom McPherson said there was no damage.

“We found it to be a defective light ballast in the basement,” he said. “The occupants inside reported the power had gone out in basement. When they went to investigate, they saw a haze of smoke and called 911.”

Engines from Windham and Salem responded at about 2:45 p.m. for a report of a building fire.

McPherson said firefighters used thermal imaging equipment and isolated the problem to the light. They vented the building and turned it over to the property owner shortly thereafter.

It was the second time in about a month firefighters have responded to the restaurant for an electrical problem.

On June 18, a malfunctioning electrical strip ignited a cabinet, which activated an alarm system and sprinklers. The sprinkler system extinguished the fire, but it caused thousands of dollars in damage.

“I think the two incidents were totally separate, in no way connected,” McPherson said yesterday.

The restaurant is in a converted barn.

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Merrimack Valley

Eagle-Tribune News Videos
Photos of the Week