Many commuters couldn’t get there from here yesterday.
Trains weren’t running, buses bypassed South Station and the MBTA suspended service while police searched the greater Boston area for the second suspect in Monday’s bombing.
The Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency and the New Hampshire Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management urged people to steer clear of Boston and surrounding communities.
Some New Hampshire residents who caught an early ride with Boston Express rode into the city, but never got off the bus.
“We started this morning running on a normal schedule,” said Ben Blunt, general manager of Boston Express. “When many of our passengers got to South Station, they immediately got right back on the bus and came back home.”
Blunt said yesterday would normally have been a busy day with the overlap of the end of the Massachusetts school vacation and the beginning of the New Hampshire school vacation.
“We are carrying some people,” Blunt said. “But not as many as we usually would have.”
Todd Pollack of Hudson and his family were among the few riders at Salem park-and-ride lot yesterday. They planned to fly to Miami last night and wanted to get to Boston Logan International Airport as quickly as possible.
“What’s happening in Boston is one of the craziest things, I’ve ever seen,” Pollack said. “We figured the sooner we got out of Boston, the better.”
Logan and Manchester-Boston Regional Airport both remained opened. But Logan was operating under heightened security and cars entering were being searched.
Tom Malafronte, spokesman for Manchester-Boston Regional Airport, said activity remained normal there.
But for some, the disruptions made it easy to get out of the city.
“I had been out of town and had just flown in this morning,” said Ed Morgan of Salem, N.H. “It ended up being a straight shot since we didn’t stop at South Station.”