EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

Merrimack Valley

December 7, 2012

Methuen teen jailed for alleged 'Columbine' threat

METHUEN — A 17-year-old junior at Methuen High School is being held without bail after allegedly telling a fellow student he planned to “pull another Columbine” mass-shooting at the school.

A prosecutor at Jacob Butze-Maille’s arraignment in Lawrence District Court yesterday also said he threatened to kill the female student first if she told anyone about his plot

Methuen police arrested Butze-Maille Thursday evening.

He is charged with threatening to commit murder, intimidation of a witness, and willfully communicating a threat concerning a dangerous item.

Dressed in a black sweatshirt and dark pants, Butze-Maille sat quietly during his arraignment and was shielded from the view of a television camera by his lawyer and two courthouse security guards.

Judge Michael Brooks ordered Butze-Maille held without bail for up to 90 days. He is scheduled to appear in court again Jan. 4 for a probable cause hearing.

“There are no conditions (of release) that would reasonably ensure the safety of the community,” said Brooks. “These are alarming and disturbing allegations, compounded by the threat” to the student who reported it.

Several Methuen High students interviewed yesterday afternoon said Butze-Maille, or Jake, was rather friendly, though a couple reported having an off feeling about him despite saying he was nice.

“He was a very outgoing kid,” said senior Timothy O’Leary. “I couldn’t see him shoot up the school.”

Though he doesn’t know him well, junior Fouad Samar said nothing about Butze-Maille raised any red flags.

“He seemed like a normal kid,” said Samar.

Methuen Superintendent Judith Scannell said Butze-Maille registered at Methuen High School midway through last year.

“We do not tolerate threats, period,” said Scannell. “The administration followed protocol to a T and acted swiftly.”

Assistant District Attorney Kim Gillespie said yesterday in court that Butze-Maille’s alleged threats were first reported to school officials around noon Thursday.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Merrimack Valley

Eagle-Tribune News Videos
Photos of the Week