EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

Merrimack Valley

September 25, 2012

Marshals nab NH fugitive in former Lawrence cop's home

LAWRENCE — U.S. Marshals arrested a Salem, N.H., fugitive hiding at the home of former Lawrence police officer and local nightclub owner Rafael Beamud early yesterday morning.

Beamud is the owner of the Copa Club at 1 Mill St. His liquor license for the Lawrence nightclub may be in jeopardy as he faces criminal charges for harboring a fugitive at his 12 Lorenzo Road home in South Lawrence, police said.

Beamud was a Lawrence police officer in 1980s before transferring to Cambridge police, where he was a detective.

Early yesterday morning, members of the U.S. Marshal’s Joint Fugitive Task Force went to Beamud’s home after they received tips Luis Figueroa, 29, was hiding there.

Figueroa was wanted on an arrest warrant for parole violations, stemming from a drug sales conviction, as well as a Salem, N.H., police warrant for endangering the welfare of a child, reckless conduct, disobeying a police officer and placing another in danger, according to information released yesterday by U.S. Marshals.

Figueroa has a criminal history that includes arrests for assault, assault and battery with a deadly weapon, narcotics sales, burglary, use of a false name and driving after license suspension. He was considered “armed and dangerous,” according to a U.S. Marshals “wanted” poster about him.

Aliases Figueroa uses include Perikito Figueroa and Bebo Figueroa, according to the U.S. Marshals.

U.S. Marshals interviewed Beamud “multiple times” about Figueroa’s whereabouts. Beamud “denied having any knowledge of his location,” according to the Marshals service. However, through surveillance and interviews “it was confirmed that Figueroa was in fact living with this former police officer,” according to a statement released yesterday.

Early yesterday morning, Marshals, area sheriff department officers and N.H. state troopers, converged on Beamud’s home. Figueroa was seen through a window and then tried to escape out of the garage. He was “quickly located and handcuffed,” according to a statement released by the U.S. Marshal’s.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Merrimack Valley

Eagle-Tribune News Videos
Photos of the Week