EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

Merrimack Valley

July 4, 2013

No parole for Lawrence man convicted in 1998 murder

LAWRENCE — Parole was denied last week to Elsido Pereyra, 48, who pleaded guilty to the 1998 murder of Richardo “Ricky” Torres of Lawrence.

The Massachusetts Parole Board handed down the decision on June 28.

On May 3, 1998, Torres’ pregnant girlfriend purchased candy at the El Coqui, a store Pereyra owned on Newbury Street. While in the store, Pereyra’s bother and another man made “disrespectful comments” to Torres’ girlfriend, according to a statement released yesterday by District Attorney Jonathan Blodgett’s office.

When the women told Torres what the men said, he went back into the store to talk to the men. A fight broke out and Pereyra shot Torres in the back. Pereyra then hid from police.

On March 2, 1999, Pereyra pleaded guilty to second degree murder and was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole, according to the statement.

Paul Wagoner, an assistant district attorney, told the board parole should be denied because Pereyra continues to portray the murder in self-serving terms and blames Torres. Wagoner also pointed out Pereyra has an “inadequate post-parole plan to ensure he does not re-offend,” according to the statement.

Pereyra, who can apply for parole again in two years, was represented by attorney Eva Clark at the hearing.

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Merrimack Valley

Eagle-Tribune News Videos
Photos of the Week