EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

Merrimack Valley

November 29, 2013

Police have suspect in Sahara Club shooting

'That person is in custody right now. He's not on the street'


Solomon said State Police on the scene in the early morning of Oct. 23 counted about 175 people at the club once police arrived, and he estimated that between 50 and 60 people took off after the shooting and before police arrived.

“We assume there was a significant amount of people who left,” Solomon said.

He does not believe the club was over its capacity of 240, though. That count contradicts the figure Amann provided to The Eagle-Tribune in two separate interviews, when he put the total crowd at between 100 and 120. Amann said Tuesday the Sahara’s owners gave him the lower figure.

The club’s license agreement required a firefighter detail when occupancy exceeds 150 people, according to a 2001 letter from then-fire Chief Kenneth Bourassa in the Sahara’s license file. No detail was present Oct. 22.

The license agreement, in place since 1995, also required a valet to manage parking in the residential neighborhood. No valet was working Oct. 22 and Lebbos family members said Tuesday that it would be difficult to hire one.

Fire Capt. Michael Buote said Tuesday that state regulations now require clubs with more than 100 people to have a certified crowd manager. No crowd manager was there Oct. 22, despite several warnings from the Fire Department since 2011. Buote said he would be the crowd manager at the Sahara’s Nov. 27 function, where a crowd was expected.

“I was kind of surprised with how uncooperative everybody was, the patrons that were inside the club,” Solomon said of the scene just after the shooting. “We had a very difficult time controlling people.”

Police and club owners said they do not know who was at the Oct. 22 party because a guest log was not kept. The Licensing Board stressed several times to the club owners that they must keep a legible log of guests and the members who bring them every night.

The club has turned over surveillance video from Oct. 22 and 23 to police.

Follow Douglas Moser on Twitter @EagleEyeMoser. To comment on stories and see what others are saying, log on to eagletribune.com.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Merrimack Valley

Eagle-Tribune News Videos
Photos of the Week