“But it’s not unheard of to get tips that are very, very old. And I’m hoping that we’ll get a few to help solve this case,” he said.
Keeping the case in the public eye is what has been driving the ongoing leads received by police investigating Rachael Garden’s abduction — even after 33 years, according to Kingston police Chief Briggs.
“We’re continuing to chase down any and all leads that pertain to the disappearance of Rachael Garden,” Briggs said.
“It still continues to be a very active investigation and we’ve got a $10,000 reward we’re offering to anyone who helps solve it. And we would encourage anyone with any information to come in and talk to us or call us anonymously,” he said.
Meanwhile in Exeter, police Chief Richard Kane has named the person he believes abducted 8-year-old Tammy Belanger: Victor Wonyetye, a long-time suspect who died in a Florida prison hospital last December.
“He was the one that committed that crime,” Kane told WMUR (Channel 9) last week.
The chief told the Manchester, N.H. television station that Wonyetye’s death’s might develop new leads while encouraging other potential witnesses to come forward. Wonyetye worked in an auto body repair shop near the Lincoln Street School at the time of Tammy’s disappearance.
Later this month, the area’s four long-term missing children will be remembered with hundreds of others as the country observes the 30th annual National Missing Children’s Day. President Ronald Reagan declared the day in 1983 to call attention to the issue of missing children. He chose May 25 — it was on that day in 1979 when 6-year-old Etan Patz was abducted from a New York City street corner on his way to school. He has never been found.