EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

Merrimack Valley

January 30, 2013

Son of former school chief avoids jail for perjury

Wilfredo Laboy II admits he lied to grand jury; gets one year probation

LAWRENCE — The son of convicted Lawrence Public School Superintendent Wilfredo Laboy yesterday admitted he lied to an Essex County Grand Jury that investigated and later indicted his father on criminal charges.

On the morning his trial was supposed to start, Wilfredo Laboy II, 38, yesterday pleaded guilty to perjury and was sentenced to one year supervised probation through an agreement reached between the prosecution and defense and approved by Judge Maynard Karpalani.

A perjury charge carries a recommended sentence between 21/2 to 20 years in jail.

Laboy II, the father of two teenaged children and owner of a Sal’s Pizza franchise in Methuen, admitted he lied to the grand jury in September 2009 about having his pizza shop menus designed and printed with Lawrence school resources. He also admitted he lied about getting rides to work on a daily basis from school department employees.

Laboy II lost his license for two years after his second drunken driving conviction, triggering the need for rides to and from Sal’s Pizza shops he was working at in Lawrence and North Andover.

His father did not accompany him to court yesterday although his mother and wife were present for the sentencing. Laboy II was the fourth and final person with a criminal case centered around the school scandal.

On March 22, 2012, the elder Laboy, Lawrence school superintendent for nearly a decade, was found guilty of felony fraud and embezzlement charges. He was convicted of using public school resources for his personal gain, using school employees to run his personal errands and having pizza menus and other items for his son’s business printed in the school department.

He was sentenced to two years in jail, with 90 days to be served. However, Laboy served only 60 days at the Correctional Alternative Center in Lawrence, known as the Farm, after he was released 30 days early for good behavior.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Merrimack Valley

Eagle-Tribune News Videos
Photos of the Week