The district attorney’s office did not assent to “an agreement” to allow Wilfredo Laboy II, the son of former Lawrence School Superintendent Wilfredo Laboy, to plead guilty to perjury in exchange for a one-year sentence of supervised probation. The prosecutor asked for a 21/2 year jail sentence, with one year to serve and the balance suspended for three years. A perjury conviction carries a recommended sentence of 21/2 to 20 years in jail. Laboy II, who committed perjury during a grand jury investigation of his father, was sentenced Tuesday in Salem Superior Court.
Preaching the gospel of solar energy
NORTH ANDOVER -- About a year ago, Susan Almono had solar energy panels installed at her house. Her monthly electric bill, she said, amounts to zero. In fact, the panels have produced a surplus of electricity, so she gets a credit from National Grid,Continued ...
Back on Berkeley Street: Family of nine rebuilds home almost a year after 3-alarm fire
LAWRENCE -- The past 10 months have been a trying time for Toni Durfee. After a three-alarm fire destroyed her house at 70-72 Berkeley St., she and four of her children lived in a two-bedroom hotel suite with a kitchenette in Andover. Every day, sheContinued ...
In memory of the '343' FDNY, never to be forgotten
Today's donors: Anonymous$25 In memory of my husband, Richard Kosmeh. I wish my relatives and friends a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. From Val and Lisa$30 R and M$5 In loving memory of our extended family, Ed, Betty, Ann Marie and TeddyContinued ...
- FBI denies paying alleged informant for testimony
- Den Rock Wine and Spirits to change owners
- Wednesday, December 4, 2013
- Mother of 2 admits lying to police in murder case
- Town takes first step toward free, full-day kindergarten
- 911 mall call lands Rockport woman in hot water
- Lawrence High headmaster retiring
- Mayor defends contracts, tax increase
- Forgue won't seek re-election to School Committee
- Holiday Happenings returns to Andover
- Brooks School boosts Kittredge gymnasium project by $30K
- Fascinated by Fasanella
- Vehicle homicide charged in May fatality
- Merrimack Valley Police Logs
- Where there's smoke...
- Christmas concert at Methuen's Memorial Music Hall
- 'For all the wonderful memories and joy at Christmas'
- Chism pleads not guilty in slaying
- Teen pleads not guilty in Danvers teacher's slaying
- Tuesday, December 3, 2013
- Man slain outside Methuen club had been an FBI informant
- 'Thankful forever': Runner revived after suffering heart attack in Thanksgiving race counts his blessings
- Fire rips through Lawrence home, displaces 9 Tower Hill residents
- Vispoli announces bid for Finegold's State Senate seat
- One suspect arrested in Methuen bank robbery
- Stevens-Coolidge volunteers honored
- Police logs
- Selectmen back rate shift for business taxpayers
- Preaching the gospel of solar energy