EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

February 7, 2013

Alleged drunken driver, 33, slams into police cruiser

By Brian Messenger

---- — METHUEN — A 33-year-old Lynn man was driving drunk and without a valid license Monday night when he slammed his vehicle into a police cruiser that was travelling with its flashing lights on, police said.

The crash sent Ronald Beausoleil and Officer Arthur Hardy to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. Two passengers in Beausoleil’s vehicle escaped injury, but police found three bottles of beer and an unopened bottle of Canadian Club whiskey inside.

“They had just come from a party and the driver was en route to go drop off his passengers,” said Methuen police Captain Randy Haggar.

Beausoleil will be summonsed to Lawrence District Court and charged with driving under the influence of alcohol, operating a motor vehicle with a revoked license, and failure to yield to an emergency vehicle, Haggar said.

The crash occurred at 11:45 p.m. at the intersection of Broadway at Osgood Street.

Both Hardy and Officer Kevin Abraham were travelling northbound on Broadway in separate cruisers in response to a police radio call for a traffic stop on Interstate 93.

“Within literally 10 seconds, Officer Hardy radioed in that he was in a car crash,” said Haggar. “The cruisers were in emergency operation with their full lights. There was no excuse for (Beausoleil).”

Beausoleil was travelling westbound on Osgood Street in a 2010 Toyota Corolla. Beausoleil told police he stopped after seeing Abraham’s cruiser drive by. But he didn’t see Hardy and pulled out right in front of his cruiser, Haggar said.

Hardy avoided a potential T-bone-style crash by swerving away from Beausoleil’s vehicle, which struck the front passenger side of the cruiser before swinging around and hitting the rear passenger side.

“It had the potential to be catastrophic,” said Haggar. “Officer Hardy took evasive action and was able to minimize the amount of damage to everyone.”

Officers on scene observed that Beausoleil appeared intoxicated. He was transported to Holy Family Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries and was released Tuesday. Hardy was also brought to the hospital and was released soon afterward.