EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

Merrimack Valley

February 11, 2013

Feds extend grant keeping 31 firefighters on job

LAWRENCE - All 31 firefighters facing layoffs next month will stay on the job at least until August after the federal government agreed to extend the city’s deadline for spending the last of the $6.6 million grant that is paying their salaries.

Fire Chief Jack Bergeron said he was unable to spend the grant and rehire the firefighters fast enough because of civil service hiring procedures that he said are more rigorous in Massachusetts than in most other states. Adding to the delay, he said the grant from the Federal Emergency Management Agency was months late – and was backdated – when he received it in 2011.

If FEMA had not extended the two-year deadline for spending the grant, the 31 firefighters could have lost their jobs March 17, even as $830,000 of the grant remained on the table, Bergeron said.

Last week, FEMA gave Bergeron five months more to spend the grant, allowing him to keep the 31 firefighters until Aug, 24.

The 31 jobs include all 23 that were cut by Mayor William Lantigua in July 2010 and eight that were lost to attrition under former Mayor Michael Sullivan.

“Everybody that was laid off, we’ve restored,” Bergeron said.

Bergeron also will hire another seven firefighters over the next few months, bringing the ranks to 120. That’s still 16 short of what would be needed to reopen the Tower Hill firehouse, Bergeron said.

The news isn’t all good: the added time to spend the grant means the city has nearly $1 million in unspent FEMA money in the bank as it competes with other fire departments across the United States for a second, ongoing round of grants, which could hobble the application.

Bergeron is asking for another $6 million-plus, which would keep the added firefighters on the job for at least two more years.

If the grant is not renewed after the funding runs out Aug. 24, Bergeron said the 38 newly hired firefighters – the 31 rehired over the last two years and the seven who will be hired this year - could be laid off, which he said would cause him to shut two companies and a firehouse and re-expose the city to the danger that caused the federal government to come to the rescue two years ago. The city reopened the Prospect Hill firehouse only a year ago, after closing it for more than a year.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Merrimack Valley

Eagle-Tribune News Videos
Photos of the Week