EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

August 23, 2013

Health board offers banned ice cream seller second chance

By Paul Tennant
ptennant@eagletribune.com

---- — NORTH ANDOVER — The Board of Health granted Gilbert Harb a second chance to sell ice cream in North Andover last night.

The board denied Harb, 49, of Lawrence, a permit last year after he was arrested and charged with attempting to strangle his wife. The board told him he could reapply provided he resolved his legal issues and attended an anger management course.

Harb’s lawyer, Thomas Torrisi, told the Board of Health last night that the court gave him a continuance without a finding, which he completed without any further incidents. Furthermore, Torrisi said his client has not only completed the required anger management course but has reconciled with his wife.

Harb owns two ice cream trucks and his wife works with him, Torrisi said. They are already selling ice cream in Methuen and Andover, he added.

The board voted unanimously to allow Harb to apply for an ice cream vendor’s license in North Andover. Dr. Thomas Trowbridge, chairman of the board, said this action “allows him to move forward.”

Harb still needs to have his truck inspected to make sure it complies with health regulations, according to Susan Sawyer, director of the Health Department.

Harb said he sells 53 flavors of ice cream.