EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

February 27, 2013

Wilmington man leads local, state police on high-speed chase into North Andover

Drunken driving suspect was tackled to the ground by North Andover Police Officer Michael Reardon

By Bill Kirk
The Eagle-Tribune

NORTH ANDOVER — A 34-year-old Wilmington man was arrested on Route 114 at 2:30 this morning on a variety of charges, including driving under the influence of liquor, third offense, after he led police on a high-speed chase through several towns before his tires were blown out by local police.

Paul Tierney, 34, of Wilmington, was scheduled to be arraigned in Salem District Court today on OUI third offense, failure to stop for police, negligent operation of a motor vehicle, resisting arrest and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon after he tried running over a sheriff's deputy. He also faces more than a half-dozen other charges.

State Police said the troubles with Tierney actually started earlier in the evening when Troopers tried to stop him on Route 95 in Danvers. According to a press release issued by State Police, Tierney evaded police by driving off the highway into a densely populated area of Danvers.

He then drove his red Kia into Middleton, where he was spotted by local police, but again refused to stop. He somehow made his way to the Middleton Jail off Route 62, near the Danvers line.

He drove down Route 62 back into Danvers and past the State Police barracks.

Trooper Lisa Cote-Barthelmess observed the pursuit pass by and joined in behind the Middleton Police cruiser. Tierney did a U-turn at some point and headed back toward Middleton before getting onto Route 114 heading into North Andover.

Driving at speeds of up to 90 mph, Tierney refused to stop his vehicle and was driving erratically.

"The Kia was operating in a highly erratic manner, swerving all over the roadway," State Police said. "The North Andover Police Department was notified of the pursuit and deployed tire-deflation devices on Route 114. The KIA struck the device, forcing the vehicle to slow and stop on Massachusetts Avenue in North Andover."

Tierney then "exited the vehicle and ran down the street with Trooper Cote-Barthelmess and North Andover Police Officer Michael Reardon in pursuit on foot," State Police said. "Officer Reardon was able to grab the suspect and pull him to the ground. The suspect struggled against being taken into custody but was eventually handcuffed."

Other charges he faces include: Operating after revocation, habitual traffic offender; resisting arrest; possession of an open container of alcohol in a motor vehicle; speeding; marked lanes violation; failure to stop; assault and battery with a dangerous weapon; assault and battery on a public employee; leaving the scene of a personal injury accident; trespassing on state/county property.


More on this story in tomorow's editions of The Eagle-Tribune.