WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama’s national security team acknowledged for the first time Wednesday that, when investigating one suspected terrorist, it can read and store the phone records of millions of Americans.
Since it was revealed recently that the National Security Agency puts the phone records of every American into a database, the Obama administration has assured the nation that such records are rarely searched and, when they are, officials target only suspected international terrorists.
Meanwhile, at a hacker convention in Las Vegas on Wednesday, the head of the NSA said government methods used to collect phone and email data helped foil 54 terror plots — a figure that drew open skepticism from lawmakers back in Washington.
“Not by any stretch can you get 54 terrorist plots,” said Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee.
More than a decade after the terror attacks of 2001, the phone-record surveillance program has stirred deep privacy concerns on Capitol Hill, where Leahy said Wednesday during an oversight hearing, “If this program is not effective, it has to end.” He added, “So far I’m not convinced by what I’ve seen.”
In the House earlier this month, lawmakers said they never intended to allow the NSA to build a database of every phone call in America, and they threatened to curtail the government’s surveillance authority.
“You’ve got a problem,” Rep. James Sensenbrenner, R-Wis., told top intelligence officials weeks ago.
Sensing a looming shift in the privacy-versus-security cultural calculus, the White House responded. It has ordered the director of national intelligence to recommend changes that could be made to the phone-surveillance program, and Obama invited a bipartisan group of lawmakers to the White House on Thursday to discuss their concerns about the National Security Agency’s surveillance programs.