EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

March 27, 2013

County attorney to review death at chief's home

By Doug Ireland

---- — DANVILLE — State police are close to wrapping up their investigation of a 15-year-old boy’s death at police Chief Wade Parsons’ home and will forward the case to the county attorney’s office.

New Hampshire State Police Lt. Christopher Vetter said yesterday they have nearly concluded their investigation of what led to the shooting death of 15-year-old Jacob Carver, a popular Timberlane Regional High School freshman.

Vetter did not say when the investigation would be complete, but he did say the case would be reviewed by Rockingham County Attorney James Reams, who could not be reached for comment.

Vetter did not say if that means charges would be filed in the case.

“That would be something they would determine,” he said.

Vetter said he could not comment further. State police have remained tight-lipped since Carver’s body was found in Parson’s home at 53 Caramel Drive in the evening of March 11.

But Vetter has said Parsons is not being investigated. It’s been classified by state police as an “untimely death.”

State police have never identified the teenager and would say not how he died, although the Rockingham County Sheriff’s Office confirmed it was a shooting. Jacob was the son of Parson’s girlfriend.

Parsons has been out of work since the shooting, but will return today, Selectmen’s Chairman Shawn O’Neil said yesterday.

He said state police have told selectmen the town has nothing to be concerned about.

Meanwhile, friends and family members of the Timberlane student continue to mourn the young man’s death.

A funeral service was held at Rockingham Church in Plaistow last week. Jacob continues to be memorialized through Facebook sites such as RIP Jacob Carver.

An anonymous letter addressed to Parsons and media organizations asks that details in the case be released. The letter is signed “Timberlane Regional High School Parents and Friends of Jacob Carver.”

Vetter has said while the boy’s death was not accidental, it also was not a homicide. Asked if it were a suicide, Vetter said, “I wouldn’t say that.”

“We have not been told the circumstances surrounding Jake’s death, and it may always remain a mystery to us,” the letter reads. “It’s a mystery that we just cannot comprehend, having known Jake as we did.”

The letter said the police chief should feel obligated to start a program in the teen’s name to get guns out of homes, perhaps through a gun buyback program.

Under state law, a person convicted of negligent storage of firearms where children are present could face a fine of up to $1,000.

The letter also asks Parsons to provide gun safety classes at local schools to help keep children safe.

“This will do little to help dry all those tearful eyes in the Timberlane community this week,” the letter said. “But it will hopefully stop the need to shed tears for another senseless ‘untimely death’ like Jake’s.

Parsons, Danville’s chief since 1995, could not be reached for comment.