EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

New Hampshire

May 17, 2013

Home destroyed, man burned in Plaistow

PLAISTOW — A two-alarm fire early this morning sent a man to the hospital with serious burns and destroyed his Cape-style home at 9 Sweet Hill Road.

Fire Chief John McArdle said William Bartlett III was taken to Brigham and Women’s Hospital with burns to his hands and feet. Bartlett escaped the fire through a window with his dog. The dog was taken to Veterinary Emergency and Surgery Hospital in Brentwood with burns to its paws and nose.

McArdle estimated Bartlett was about 30 years old. He was the only one in the home at the time of the fire.

McArdle said the fire department received the call at 2:45 a.m. and the home was fully involved when firefighters arrived. About 30 firefighters fought the blaze for 45 minutes, before it was declared under control.

The home was completely destroyed, with only the chimney and the front steps intact. A pickup truck also was destroyed.

Bartlett is the son of William Bartlett Jr., who owns Bill Bartlett and Son Construction. William Bartlett Jr. had just finished building a home next door for himself and his wife. They have been living there since December.

Firefighters from Atkinson, Newton, Kingston, Sandown, Danville, Hampstead and Haverhill, Mass., assisted Plaistow at the fire.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
New Hampshire

ET Videos