EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

June 8, 2013

Fire linked to electrical problem at an Ackerman Street home


The Eagle-Tribune

---- — SALEM, N.H. — An electrical malfunction was determined to have caused a fire last week at an Ackerman Street home.

Fire Marshal Jeffrey Emanuelson said a problem linked to two outlets in the two-story home at 11 Ackerman St. caused a fire on Tuesday that heavily damaged the residence and led to an elderly man being hospitalized.

Herbert Herron, 84, was rescued by police Officer Connor Nolan and neighbor Nick Alsup when flames were spotted near the roof and heavy smoke filled the home. Herron’s wife, Barbara Herron, 74, was able to escape on her own.

Herbert Herron, who has difficulty walking and suffers from dementia, pneumonia and respiratory illness, was taken to Parkland Medical Center and is recovering, his wife said.

The home sustained thousands of dollars in damage.