EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

October 23, 2013


The Eagle-Tribune

---- — Dartmouth delays admission deadline

HANOVER (AP) — Dartmouth College officials said technical problems with the Common Application are prompting them to postpone the deadline for early admissions applications by one week.

The deadline has been changed from Nov. 1 to Nov. 8.

Student newspaper The Dartmouth reports the Admissions Office received calls from concerned students, counselors and students who were having trouble creating accounts to utilize the Common Application software.

This marks the third time in three years that the deadline has been extended. Last year’s extension was prompted by Hurricane Sandy. The year before, a freak October snowstorm the caused extensive power outages prompted a one-week postponement.

The college’s Admissions Office anticipates all software problems surrounding the Common App — as it’s known — will be resolved by Jan. 1.

AG: Deadly force was justified

DOVER (AP) — New Hampshire Attorney General Joseph Foster said the use of deadly force by police was justified in a shootout with Dover man who eventually died of self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Police had responded to a domestic disturbance call on Sept. 30 that a man had assaulted a woman with a hammer in an apartment complex. The woman left and was taken to the hospital.

Police had some contact with the man, 50-year-old Frank Thompson, in which he decided not to leave his apartment. He exchanged gunfire with police, and the officers returned fire.

The standoff ended early on Oct. 1, after police sent in a robot unit to record images of Thompson, including evidence that he pointed a gun at himself and fired a shot to his chest.

Allegiant Air moves inaugural flight

PORTSMOUTH (AP) — Allegiant Air is switching its first New Hampshire flight from Portsmouth to Manchester, saying the federal government shutdown delayed the installation of passenger-screening equipment at Portsmouth International Airport.

Customers who are planning to fly on the first flight out of Portsmouth on Friday were notified by email Monday of the change.

Allegiant had served Portsmouth in the past, ending in 2007. It plans to operate twice weekly, Mondays and Fridays, between Portsmouth and Orlando Sanford International Airport.

Allegiant issued a statement yesterday saying the furlough of Transportation Security Administration personnel “stalled the installation of necessary passenger and baggage security screening equipment” at Pease.

“Moving the flight to Manchester was the best possible solution to ensure passengers would be able to continue with their travel plans,” the statement said.

Concord police seek two-time shoe thief

CONCORD (AP) — Police in Concord are looking for a man who’s wearing a new pair of white shoes, size 10 ½. They have his old ones, which left behind in a store’s shoebox.

Police say the man has visited Burlington Coat Factory twice to replace the shoes he was wearing with new ones. Both times, he placed his own shoes in the store shoebox and left wearing the new shoes without paying for them.

Police said during both thefts, on Aug. 30 and Oct. 2, the man took the same style and color shoes: FILA Fulcrum 3, white, valued at about $30.

Police have recovered video surveillance from store security and are asking the public to assist in identifying the man.

Murderer injured in prison fight

CONCORD (AP) — A New Hampshire man serving a life sentence for killing a woman and maiming her daughter in a 2009 home invasion has been injured in a prison fight.

Since going to state prison in 2011, Christopher Gribble has been in a special housing unit where he has had no contact with other inmates, WMUR-TV reports. Last week, he was moved to the close custody unit, where he has a cellmate and can interact with inmates.

The fight took place on Oct. 13 in the recreation yard and involved at least one other inmate. Gribble was treated for minor facial injuries. The prison is investigating.

Inmates in the closed custody unit are locked down about 20 hours a day and can leave the unit to go to the dining hall and get contact visits. They can interact with other inmates in the recreation yard on a limited basis.

Gribble and Steven Spader were convicted of the machete and knife attack that killed Kimberly Cates and severely injured her daughter, Jaimie, in Mont Vernon. They were sentenced to life. Three others were sentenced to lesser crimes.

Gribble took the stand in his own defense during the 11-day trial, claiming he had been abused by his mother and that he had fantasized about torturing and killing her. He asked a jury to find him not guilty by reason of insanity. Prosecution experts who examined him testified that he had an anti-social personality, but was not insane.

Gribble testified he felt nothing as he plunged the knife into Cates’s throat and tried to kill Jaimie. He said he felt a flood of relief after the attacks.

Soon after the jury returned the verdict against Gribble, Judge Gillian Abramson told him “infinity is not enough jail time.”

Five protesters arrested in Portsmouth

PORTSMOUTH (AP) — Five protesters, four of them locked to each other with steel pipes, have been arrested after refusing to leave the Irving Oil corporate building in Portsmouth, where police said they threw glitter and blew whistles.

The Portsmouth Herald reports, according to a live blog of the protest Monday, the five women are members of a group called Trans and/or Women’s Action Camp, with a slogan, “Kicking patriarchy out of the woods.”

They said they were protesting fracking exploration on indigenous lands in Canada. Four are from Maine and one is from Texas.

Police said they were among 25 protesters who entered the building. The women locked to each other remained seated in a circle in the lobby. They were carried out and charged with disorderly conduct.

Customer nabs would-be robber

MANCHESTER (AP) — A man buying a soda at a Manchester 7-Eleven sprang into action and pounced on a masked man pointing a gun at the clerk.

Ken Montgomery said he was at the back of the store when he saw the man. He came up from behind and jumped on his back Friday.

Montgomery, who is retired from the Navy, told WMUR-TV he grabbed the gun, tossed it aside and held onto the man until police arrived.

Police arrested 33-year-old Angelo Kapos on charges of robbery and criminal threatening.

Police said the weapon was a BB gun.