EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

New Hampshire

November 11, 2013

Police: Officers saved suspect's life

SALEM — Police saved the life of a domestic assault suspect Sunday afternoon who was bleeding profusely and “extremely intoxicated,” Deputy police Chief Shawn Patten said.

Just before 2 p.m., police responded to a reported domestic disturbance on Bailey Road.

There, they found a 56-year-old woman who had been hit in the head with a caulking gun. She required medical treatment.

She had “a significant laceration on the top of her head” from being struck with the caulking gun, Patten said. She was treated at Parkland Medical Center in Derry.

Police also found the suspect, Thomas Dye, 59, of Salem, who locked himself inside the house and refused to come out, Patten said.

Dye reportedly screamed at police and told them they would have to kill him. An officer looked through a kitchen window and saw Dye was bleeding profusely from both wrists, Patten said. Because the bleeding was so severe, police decided to enter the house before Dye’s condition grew more serious, according to Patten.

Police forced the door open and Dye charged at them. Police shot Dye twice with a Taser, Patten said, but he continued to struggle, even after he was handcuffed and on a stretcher.

The amount of blood present made the situation even more difficult, he said.

“They saved that guy’s life,” Patten said of responding officers.

Dye had slit he wrists with a knife, he said.

The wounds on Dye’s wrists had to be stapled closed, Patten said, and the suspect was “extremely intoxicated.”

He was treated at Parkland Medical Center in Derry and bail was set there at $5,000 cash. Dye was out on bail already for a domestic assault in August involving the same victim, Patten said.

Several officers at the scene were treated for “significant blood exposure,” Patten said, and “numerous” articles of clothing and equipment were ruined in the incident.

“There was so much blood at the scene, several officers were covered in blood,” he said. “Frankly, they made a decision to make contact with him and that saved his life.”

Dye is being held in the county jail on two counts of simple assault and a single count of resisting arrest.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
New Hampshire

ET Videos