EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

New Hampshire

November 12, 2012

Londonderry garage, tools lost in blaze

LONDONDERRY — Firefighters from six towns battled a fire yesterday morning at the Londonderry Flea Market at 5 Avery Road.

The cause of the blaze, which destroyed a 1,500-square-foot garage, was an unattended wood stove, according to Londonderry fire Chief Kevin MacCaffrie.

Pete Sapatis, property owner and flea market operator, had left wood stove unattended for 10 or 15 minutes, battalion chief Fred Heinrich said.

“The property owner called at 8:14 (a.m.), reporting smoke near the ceiling of his wood stove,” MacCaffrie said.

No one was injured.

Firefighters from Windham, Litchfield, Auburn, Hudson and Pelham helped Londonderry fight the fire. Londonderry brought three tankers to the scene. There are no nearby hydrants so water had to be trucked in.

Firefighters from Manchester, Bedford and Nashua covered Londonderry stations while their trucks were out, MacCaffrie said.

The fire was under control after about 9:30 a.m., and fire crews left shortly before noon.

Sapatis was distraught about the loss of his equipment and supplies.

“We were just getting ready to work in the off season,” he said.

The flea market had its last weekend of the season just a few short weeks ago.

Sapatis said the garage held tools and wood. He said the building was largely uninsured.

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
New Hampshire

ET Videos