LONDONDERRY — A child died after fire engulfed a home at the Whispering Pines Mobile Home Park yesterday afternoon.
Fire chief Kevin MacCaffrie said the fire was caused by food which was left cooking unattended on the stove.
The Londonderry Fire Department received a call shortly before 1 p.m. that smoke and flames were erupting from a mobile home at 17 Norwich Place.
When Derry firefighters arrived, the first on the scene, they were told someone was still inside.
Firefighters used hand lines and entered the building, where they removed the victim. An ambulance was seen leaving the trailer park around 1:15 p.m.
Max Schultz, the district chief for the state fire marshal’s office, said the identity, age and gender of the victim would not be revealed until an autopsy is complete and the victim’s family has been notified. MacCaffrie said he expected the autopsy to be completed by tomorrow.
Fire officials would not confirm whether the child died in the house or if he or she was pronounced dead at the hospital. The victim’s mother was taken to Parkland Medical Center with “undisclosed injuries,” MacCaffrie said, but her condition was unknown.
McCaffrie said the mother lived with multiple children in the home, but he didn’t know how many.
The Derry Fire Department was first at the scene and Londonderry firefighters arrived shortly after.
Mutual aid was called in. Firefighters and equipment came from Auburn, Chester, Bedford and Litchfield joined Londonderry and Derry at the scene. Salem, Manchester and Hooksett departments provided station coverage
MacCaffrie said the fire was knocked down within 15 minutes of their arrival.
The mobile home was still standing, but there was significant smoke, fire and water damage. Many of the windows of the home were knocked out. Toys and other items were scattered on the lawn in front of the house.