EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

New Hampshire

October 4, 2013

Furloughed? Apply for unemployment now

CONCORD – Granite Staters furloughed or temporarily laid off due to the government shutdown can file for unemployment benefits.

New Hampshire Employment Security announced yesterday those workers should open claims this week.

“The federal government shutdown is causing unnecessary hardship to New Hampshire families,” Gov. Maggie Hassan said. “The federal employees who have been furloughed make critical contributions to our economy, and it is important we provide support to those workers as they struggle through the shutdown. This shutdown is hurting real people here in New Hampshire. In the Granite State, we come together to look out for people and solve problems. Washington must do the same and stop allowing a few obstructionists to hurt people here in New Hampshire and across the country.”

Individuals should apply as soon as possible, N.H. Employment Security Commissioner George Copadis said. If an individual waits to file, they will not be able to request or receive benefits for previous weeks.

In addition, federal employees must apply for benefits in the state in which they work.

Federal employees with a most recent official duty station in New Hampshire may file online from home at nhes.nh.gov or at any N.H. Employment Security office.

Federal employees with a most recent official duty station in Maine may file online at file4UI.com or by phone at 1-800-593-7660. Federal employees with a most recent official duty station in Massachusetts may file at mass.gov/lwd/unemployment-insur/ or by phone at 1-617-626-6800. Federal employees with a most recent official duty station in Vermont may file by phone at 1-877-214-3330.

If an individual was employed directly with a federal agency, he or she will be sent a Claimant Affidavit of Wages to assist NHES in processing a claim. To expedite the claim, workers should bring their Claimant Affidavit of Wages, 2012 W2, recent paystubs and any document that was provided upon furlough or layoff to the nearest N.H. Works office.

If retroactive payment for the weeks unemployment benefits were issued is later paid to the individual by the federal agency, the amount of the benefits must be repaid to NHES. If the individual received any payout of unused vacation time, that must also be reported.

To find the nearest NH Works office, visit nhes.nh.gov/locations/index.htm.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
New Hampshire

ET Videos