EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

New Hampshire

April 21, 2010

Single-car accident injures three, snarls I-93 traffic for hours

Three people injured in single-car crash

WINDHAM — A woman was critically injured and traffic tied up for hours on Interstate 93 south last night after a single-car accident.

Witnesses told police the car was moving erratically before the accident.

The accident, which occurred just over the Derry-Windham line between Exits 4 and 3, took place at 6:30 p.m.

It briefly closed both southbound lanes of the highway and still had traffic reduced to a crawl more than three hours later.

New Hampshire State Police Sgt. Lawrence Bolduc said all three occupants of the Chevy Cobalt were ejected, with a woman landing in the middle of the highway. She was taken to Parkland Medical Center and transferred by medical helicopter to Boston Medical Center.

The driver of the car was Gregory Sallah, 46, of Manchester, N.H.

His passengers were Aaron Nouncy, 38, and Amanda Johnson, 22, also both of Manchester, N.H.

The State Police Technical Accident Reconstruction Team was called in and spent hours at the scene, working well into the night under a crescent moon and in the glow of pulsing lights from a line of emergency vehicles.

Windham fire Chief Thomas McPherson said the two men in the vehicle sustained serious injuries.

Bolduc said witnesses reported the car was being operated erratically before the crash, traveling in the high-speed lane.

"At some point, the operator pulled the wheel to the right and lost control of the vehicle and crashed into the embankment," Bolduc said at the scene last night. The car, with New Hampshire license plates, rested in a ditch on the north side of the road near mile marker 9.

Bolduc said it was too soon to say whether any of the occupants were wearing seatbelts and who was driving the car at the time of the crash.

McPherson said the fire department responded to the accident at about 6:30 p.m.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
New Hampshire

ET Videos