EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

New Hampshire

March 18, 2013

Firefighter, resident injured in building fire

LONDONDERRY — An unattended candle caused a late-night fire Saturday at 29 Elmwood Road, according to town Fire Marshal Brian Johnson.

Firefighters were met by heavy fire coming from the back of the building at 11:50 p.m. Two people living in the home made it out safely, according to a department press release issued yesterday.

However, the homeowner was taken to Parkland Medical Center in Derry, where she was listed in stable condition but admitted overnight for observation.

An unidentified Londonderry fire lieutenant was also injured fighting the fire and taken to Parkland. He is listed in stable condition, according to the release.

The Red Cross is assisting the occupants. About 25 percent of the home was damaged.

Firefighters from Windham, Hudson, Litchfield, Pelham and medics from Derry, Bedford and Salem, N.H. assisted at the fire scene. Firefighters from Nashua, Manchester and Auburn provided station coverage, firefighters said.

At 5:36 a.m., Londonderry firefighters were called to another blaze at 5 Shenandoah Ave. Companies arrived to find smoke coming from the front of the building, according to a press release.

Everyone was out of the building when firefighters arrived and fire damage was contained to a single room and contents on the lower level.

That fire was under control in 22 minutes, according to the release.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
New Hampshire

ET Videos