EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

January 10, 2013

Windham lawmaker unlikely to be prosecuted

McMahon could see charge dismissed

By John Toole
jtoole@eagletribune.com

---- — SALEM — A court agreement means Rep. Charles McMahon of Windham won’t face prosecution on an obstruction charge stemming from a family dispute.

McMahon was scheduled for trial yesterday in 10th Circuit Court in Salem, but the agreement, approved last week, should put an end to his legal trouble.

The agreement is conditional on McMahon’s good conduct; it can be dismissed in six months after a review hearing. The agreement defines good conduct as no major motor vehicle violations or crimes.

Police charged McMahon with obstructing the report of a crime or injury Nov. 13.

McMahon, 58, explained at the time that an argument led his son, Shane, 23, to make a 911 call to police.

But, McMahon said, there was no assault or threatening involved.

Court records allege McMahon blocked his son’s access to the phone and hung up during the attempted call.

McMahon blamed the trouble on “a very difficult situation” at home. He said his son has had Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and became argumentative that night.

Shane McMahon continued to live at home after the incident. The court ordered McMahon to “avoid interaction as much as possible” with his son while the case was pending.

McMahon yesterday was at the Statehouse, where the veteran lawmaker serves on the House Health, Human Services and Elderly Affairs Committee.

In November, McMahon said the family intended to resolve their problem and not blame anyone.

Yesterday, he said they are doing just that.

“We are successfully moving forward as a family,” he said.