EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

March 5, 2013

Former coach claims no memory of sex assaults

Alleged victims were not athletes

By Doug Ireland

---- — LONDONDERRY — A former youth football coach faces charges he sexually assaulted two young girls, but claims he had been drinking and doesn’t remember the alleged incidents.

Timothy Longua, 41, of 7 Lang Way turned himself in to Londonderry police Friday night after they issued a warrant for his arrest. He was released from the county jail over the weekend after posting $10,000 cash bail, prosecutor Kevin Coyle said yesterday.

Longua, a former assistant coach with the Londonderry Wildcats youth football league, is charged with two counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault and one count of felonious sexual assault, according to Londonderry police Lt. Timothy Jones.

He was scheduled to be arraigned on the charges yesterday in 10th Circuit Court in Derry, but the arraignment was postponed after Longua posted bail, Coyle said. The arraignment was rescheduled for March 25 at 8:15 a.m.

The 11- and 12-year-old girls told an investigator they were fondled by Longua during several sleepovers at his home between May and January, according to a police affidavit. One girl also said Longua touched her while she was sitting in the living room.

Both girls said Longua was “drunk” when he allegedly touched them as they slept in the basement, according to the affidavit, written by Londonderry police Detective Donald LaDuke.

Police learned of the alleged assaults after being contacted by the state Department of Children, Youth and Families on Feb. 5. The department said it received an anonymous report about one of the two girls.

While questioning the girl, the child reported a middle school classmate also said she was sexually assaulted by Longua.

One girl told an investigator she didn’t believe it when the other girl said she was fondled by Longua.

“Then it happened to me,” the girl said.

Two other girls who had stayed at Longua’s house also were interviewed, but there was no indication they were assaulted, according to the affidavit.

Longua said little after turning himself in Friday, but was cooperative, LaDuke wrote.

When asked by police if he sexually assaulted the girls, he simply said, “No,” LaDuke said in the affidavit.

“Timothy told me that he didn’t want to admit to something he couldn’t remember,” the detective wrote.

Longua confirmed he drank beer, but not liquor, and said he didn’t take drugs, LaDuke said.

The detective said the suspect’s wife, Maura, told him that drinking beer is Longua’s “weakness.”

After one of the alleged assaults, one girl said she told Maura Longua about it and the woman said she would ask Longua to stop touching the child, LaDuke said.

Londonderry Wildcats vice president Eric Morin said Longua helped coach a team of elementary school-aged boys last season, but was no longer a coach with the league.

League president Ryan Ouellette declined to comment in much detail about Longua, but issued a statement on the league’s behalf.

“As of this time, we do not know all the details of the alleged incident, and our thoughts and prayers remain with the Longua family,” he said.

The statement said all coaches, team parents and league board members are required to pass background checks, conducted by the National Center for Safety Initiatives. Longua passed the background check, the statement said.

“All Wildcat football and cheerleading activities are conducted as group activities with multiple adults in attendance, including coaching staffs and parents who are free to attend all practices and game-day activities,” the statement said. “Further, it has always been the policy of the Londonderry Wildcats to have a board member present at all activities, including team practices, events, and games.”

Longua could not be reached for comment.