EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

December 5, 2012

Bank robbery suspect didn't go far

Nashua man drove to nearby cafe

By Doug Ireland

---- — LONDONDERRY — Jason Enwright was loud, unruly and flashing large wads of cash in a restaurant less than an hour after a nearby bank was robbed.

Yesterday, the 38-year-old Nashua man was in court, answering to charges related to the holdup of Citizens Bank on Nashua Road.

Police said Enwright walked into the bank at 4:15 Tuesday afternoon and passed a teller a note, saying she wouldn’t get hurt if she gave him some money — with no dye packs.

The teller complied, handing him $1,428 and no dye pack.

Enwright took his note back, smiled and departed, saying, “Thank you, have a great day,” according to court documents.

Minutes later, state and local police swarmed 42 Nashua Road, filling the Londonderry Commons plaza with officers, a police K-9 and lots of flashing blue lights.

They were looking for the suspect, who one witness reported had jumped into a white sport utility vehicle with heavy front-end damage and no front license plate.

Enwright, meanwhile, apparently drove his Chevy Tahoe less than three-quarters of a mile to Cafe Teresa at 103 Nashua Road.

He soon attracted attention there.

A restaurant employee called police at 4:50 p.m., asking that an unruly customer be removed.

The caller said the man, who appeared to be drunk, said he had just struck a deer with his vehicle in Hudson and needed someone to give him a ride. He also flashed large amounts of money.

Two Hudson officers responded because Londonderry was busy with the bank robbery and an earlier three-car accident.

Officer Brian Morgan said Enwright appeared nervous and drunk, according to an affidavit. He noticed Enwright’s SUV, parked in the restaurant lot, matched the description of the getaway vehicle in the bank robbery.

A work coverall, identical to one the robber wore, was spotted inside the Tahoe, Londonderry police Lt. Kevin Cavallaro said.

Morgan checked Enwright’s background and discovered he was wanted on a bench warrant for not paying a court fine, Cavallaro said.

Enwright was taken to the Londonderry police station, where he became extremely uncooperative. He refused to be arrested and had to be pepper-sprayed, Cavallaro said. Enwright yelled, spit and screamed. During the incident, Enright hit his head and needed medical attention, Cavallaro said.

He appeared to briefly lose consciousness at one point, the police affidavit said.

Enwright was taken to Parkland Medical Center in Derry, where he spit in the face of Londonderry police Officer Jason Archambault and threatened to kill him. He also threatened to kill a Derry police officer, police said.

Enwright continued to be uncooperative yesterday, briefly delaying his arraignment via video from the county jail. When the arraignment before Judge John Coughlin began, Enwright’s demeanor didn’t change and a sheriff’s deputy had to restrain him.

”Take your hands off me, take your hands off me,” he said.

Enwright leaned against his hand and closed his eyes on several occasions as the charges against him were read, growing visibly angrier.

”Your honor, I don’t understand where all these cases are coming from — these officers are purposely stacking cases,” Enwright said.

Prosecutor Scott Jordan outlined Enwright’s 20-year criminal history and numerous convictions. Those convictions include receiving stolen property, larceny and assaulting police officers.

Coughlin said a public defender would be appointed to handle Enwright’s case. A probable cause hearing is scheduled for Dec. 13. As the arraignment came to a close, Enwright’s anger didn’t dissipate.

”I should have punched that guy in the face is what I should have done,” he said, not identifying whom he intended to assault.

Enwright faces two counts of criminal threatening and single counts of robbery, simple assault, theft and resisting arrest. All are felonies, except the misdemeanor charge of resisting arrest.

He is being held for lack of $50,000 cash bail.