EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

June 14, 2013

Shooting of former Derry man investigated

By Doug Ireland

---- — Authorities continue to investigate whether a Manchester man will be charged with shooting and killing a former Derry resident during a home invasion.

Michael LaRocque Jr., 24, died of gunshot wounds Sunday. He was shot during an early-morning incident when he and another man broke into an apartment on Lake Avenue in Manchester, according to Senior Assistant Attorney General Jeffrey Strelzin.

LaRocque, who was from Derry and attended Pinkerton Academy, lived in Manchester at the time of his death, Strelzin said yesterday.

Strelzin declined to comment on a possible motive in the case. He has said the incident did not appear to be random.

He said the investigation is “two-pronged” as his office determines whether charges would be brought against the unidentified resident and the other intruder.

The intruder escaped and Manchester police are trying to identify and question him, Strelzin said. Manchester police Lt. Maureen Tessier said she could not comment, referring inquiries to the attorney general’s office.

The resident, who lived in the apartment with his fiancee and her 3-year-old child, told police he grabbed his handgun when he heard a noise outside.

Two men kicked open the door and rushed at the resident, prompting the man to fire the gun, Strelzin said.

The resident received minor injuries during the altercation. The woman and child, whose names also were not released, were not injured.

Dr. Thomas Andrew, the state’s chief medical examiner, determined that LaRocque died of two gunshot wounds, one to his abdomen and the other to his arm, Strelzin said.

LaRocque, who has two children, starred on the Pinkerton football team and enjoyed fishing with his father, Michael LaRocque Sr., according to his obituary.

Relatives could not be reached for comment yesterday. A wake and funeral for LaRocque are scheduled for tomorrow at Peabody Funeral Homes and Crematorium in Derry.