EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

New Hampshire

April 18, 2013

Salem man jailed for threatening to beat pharmacist

SALEM — Robert Obin, 46, of Salem was found guilty of criminal threatening Tuesday in 10th Circuit Court. But he also faces two felony drug charges later this month in Rockingham Superior Court

Obin of Salem walked into Walgreens on South Broadway in September to have his Oxycodone prescription filled. When he asked pharmacist Glenn Raymond not to call his insurance company, Raymond became suspicious.

“His first words out of his mouth was that he wanted to leave the prescription out of the computer,” Raymond testified Tuesday.

Judge Michael Sullivan found Obin guilty on one criminal threatening charge, but dropped a second threatening count and a disorderly conduct charge.

Obin was sentenced to a year in the county jail, with nine months suspended. He must stay more than 100 yards away from Raymond and the Salem store.

Salem prosecutor Jason Grosky said Obin has a lengthy criminal record.

When Raymond called the doctor to check on the prescription, the doctor said something wasn’t right and canceled the prescription.

Obin had his prescription filled two weeks earlier through a different doctor and insurance company. When Raymond told Obin he couldn’t fill the prescription, the pharmacist testified that the Salem man became angry.

“He became very belligerent and started yelling and swearing at me,” Raymond said.

He said Obin then reached over the counter and grabbed the prescription out of his hands.

A store surveillance video, played in court, shows Obin starting to leave the store, repeatedly pointing at Raymond. The video did not have any sound.

“As he was walking away, he turned around and said I would get my (expletive) beaten,” Raymond said. “I was concerned something was going to happen.”

Raymond told police he was too scared to leave work that day, according to court documents. Obin returned to the store counter, yelling and swearing after Raymond said he would call police. Obin then left the store with his wife, Lisa Obin. He was arrested nearly two months later and released on $2,500 personal recognizance.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
New Hampshire

ET Videos