EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

November 12, 2012

Fire destroys barn at Londonderry Flea Market

By James Niedzinski
jniedzinski@eagletribune.com

---- — A wood stove may have been the source of a fire that ripped through a storage barn at the Londonderry Flea Market early this morning.

LONDONDERRY - A wood stove may have been the source of a fire that ripped through a storage barn at the Londonderry Flea Market early this morning.

The fire at 5 Avery Road was not considered suspicious, Londonderry fire Chief Kevin MacCaffrie said.

The call came in at about 8:15 a.m. today.

The property owner may have left the wood stove unattended for 10 to 15 minutes, MacCaffrie said.

No one was injured in the blaze, which destroyed the 1,500-square-foot building.

Firefighters from Windham, Litchfield, Auburn, Huson and Pelham helped Londonderry battle the fire.

Manchester, Bedford and Nashua covered Londonderry stations while their trucks were out, MacCaffrie said.

The fire was under control at about 9:30 a.m.

Peter Sapatis, 77, flea market operator and property owner, was distraught about the loss of his equipment.

"At this point, I don't know what I'm going to do," he said. "What a mess."