EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

September 5, 2013

Fire displaces four in Derry

By Julie Huss
jhuss@eagletribune.com

---- — DERRY — Four people were displaced yesterday after a dryer caught fire, resulting in smoke and water damage to a multi-family home at 9 Florence St.

Firefighters responded to the call shortly after noon and found a small fire in the building's lower level apartment near a clothes dryer.

Six people — five adults and one child — live in the three-unit rental home. All were safely evacuated from the home. Several pets were safely evacuated, too. There were no injuries.

Battalion Chief Michael Gagnon said the fire was put out quickly, but a lot of smoke remained.

Firefighters ventilated that lower area and also the remainder of the building.

Gagnon said there was "minimal" structural damage.

"But there was quite a bit of smoke," he said at the scene.

The home, owned by John Ratay, was built in 1920. The houses is assessed at $93,900. There was no damage estimate.

Gagnon said two of the building's three apartments are uninhabitable until further investigation and cleanup takes place.

He said the American Red Cross was contacted to help those who were displaced by the fire.

"They will work with the occupants to help them know what to expect next," Gagnon said.