PELHAM — Pelham Common Highway soon could become Meeting House Way.
Selectmen, by unanimous vote, recently picked that from a list of 38 suggestions made by town residents in response to their call for a new name.
A public hearing is expected to be held July 23 concerning the decision and the timing of the formal name change.
Pelham Common Highway runs behind the old fire station property, but no one lives or operates a business there.
A contractor is using the roadway as a staging area for work on the roundabouts project.
Officials estimate Pelham Common Highway is only about 300 to 400 feet long.
It is being repaved as part of the roundabouts project.
Meeting House Way is rooted in town history.
The original town meeting house, built in 1785, was on the site of the former fire station.
William “Spike” Hayes recommended the name.
Other suggestions ranged from Old Firehouse Road to Stone Wall Street, for the stone wall that was by the original town common in the 1700s.
Tongue-in-cheek suggestions included “No One Here Lane” and “Roundabout Way.”
One suggestion was “1746 Drive” because the town was founded in 1746.
The Highway Safety Committee, meanwhile, is recommending town officials ask the roundabout contractor to place plastic barrels at either end of the road to discourage through traffic when the company isn’t working.
“These plastic barriers would not interfere with emergency vehicle use of the road when required,” the committee told selectmen in a letter.
Planning Director Jeff Gowan, meanwhile, briefing selectmen at a meeting June 25, said the first of two roundabouts in the town center is expected to be completed, except for top coat pavement and landscaping, by late August.
Construction on the second roundabout is scheduled for next year.