EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

August 1, 2013

Car catches fire on garage lift

By Alex Lippa

---- — DERRY — A car caught fire while it was being repaired inside a bay at the BP gas station near the rotary yesterday.

Fire Battalion Chief Michael Doyle said mechanics were welding an exhaust bracket under a gold Buick when they noticed flames inside the vehicle. Employees rushed to get a fire extinguisher and called 911 at 12:20 p.m.

It didn’t take long for the fire department to arrive at the gas station at 133 E. Broadway.

“It’s right next door to our station,” Doyle said.

Derry’s Central Station is at 131 E. Broadway.

By the time firefighters responded, the car was already smoldering. Firefighters were able to put the fire out minutes later.

Doyle said he didn’t know how the fire started, but said the car only had minor interior damage to the upholstery. No one was injured.

Traffic was not affected by the incident, but fire trucks blocked vehicles from the busy gas station for about an hour.

Doyle said three fire engines and an ambulance responded to the scene.