EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

October 26, 2012

Woman told police she ended man's suffering

By Doug Ireland direland@eagletribune.com
The Eagle-Tribune

---- — DERRY — Catherine George said she didn’t want her brother-in-law to suffer anymore when confessing to police she killed him.

George, a registered nurse at Catholic Medical Center in Manchester, walked into the Derry police station Oct. 14 and said she gave Randall Percival 300 milliliters of insulin, killing the 55-year-old Raymond man, according to the New Hampshire Nursing Board.

George handed police a large syringe and glass vial of Novolog insulin. She was asked where she got the insulin and told police she accidentally brought the medication home from work in July and forgot to return it.

Percival, an engineer and licensed pilot, died in his home Oct. 9. But news of Percival’s death wasn’t made public until Wednesday, when the state attorney general’s office announced George’s nursing license had been suspended.

Associate Attorney General Jane Young said she couldn’t comment in detail about the case because it was still under investigation. Young did say George has not been charged.

Authorities remain tight-lipped about the case, including Derry, Raymond and state police, who refer all questions to the attorney’s general’s office.

The nursing board suspended George’s license effective Tuesday, concluding she “poses a risk to the public,” Assistant Attorney General Sarah Blodgett said.

George received her nursing license in 1994, according to Denise Nies, the 11-member board’s executive director.

Alex Walker, the hospital’s lead counsel, said he could not comment on George’s employment other than to say she had worked there for “many years” and that Catholic Medical Center launched its own investigation.

“She is on unpaid administrative leave pending the outcome of our investigation,” Walker said.

He said the hospital is working with investigators and would not comment on whether Catholic Medical Center officials knew the insulin was missing.

“We are cooperating and working with them to determine if the vial, indeed, came from CMC,” Walker said.

He did not know when George worked her last shift at the hospital, but did say authorities were immediately notified when they learned of the nurse’s confession to Derry police.

Nies said the nursing board will holding a hearing on the status of George’s license Nov. 2.

“A license can be suspended for a certain period of time or it can be suspended indefinitely,” she said.

Percival’s obituary said he was a licensed pilot who had worked for the last six years as a research and development optics engineer for Carl Zeiss NTS in Peabody, Mass. He was also an avid outdoorsman who loved camping, fishing and boating.

Percival had lived in Raymond for 26 years, formerly living in Wenham and Beverly, Mass. Percival and his wife, Betti, had been married for 35 years and they had two sons, the obituary said. George was also listed as one of his survivors.

The obituary did not refer to any health problems, but did say donations may be made in his memory to the Cholangiocarcinoma Foundation.

Neither Walker nor family members could be reached for comment.