By Doug Ireland
---- — BRENTWOOD — The trial for a Windham home invasion suspect remains in limbo because a key witness refuses to testify.
Luis Carvalho, 32, of Taunton, Mass., was on trial earlier this week in Rockingham Superior Court on charges he broke into a Glance Road residence, bound a woman’s hands with zip ties, and terrorized her with a shotgun.
But the trial came to a halt Wednesday after two days when a witness for the state, Matthew Nugent, would not testify against Carvalho for fear of self-incrimination.
Judge Marguerite Wageling ruled he was in contempt of court and ordered he be jailed until he testified.
Nugent, 24, remained in the county jail yesterday, still refusing to testify. The trial was still on hold, according to Rockingham County James Reams.
Depending on what the judge decides, Reams said, the trial could resume next week. Nugent’s attorney, Donald Blaszka, could not be reached yesterday for comment.
Carvalho, also being held at the jail, was being tried on six charges, including kidnapping, burglary and criminal threatening. He could face years in prison if convicted.
Police received a 911 call from the woman shortly after midnight on April 15, 2012, saying people were banging on her front door and trying to get inside.
Carvalho and another suspect, wearing masks and gloves, broke a window to enter the home, according to indictments. They struggled with the woman and bound her. Carvalho allegedly pointed a 12-gauge shotgun at her. She was not hurt, police said.
Carvalho was arrested, but two other suspects were never captured.