EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

New Hampshire

August 17, 2013

Derry town administrator faces arrest

DERRY — After Town Administrator John Anderson was charged yesterday with indecent exposure and lewdness following a police investigation, town councilors had the right to fire him immediately.

Instead, they decided to keep him on paid leave until they have a chance to question him themselves.

Anderson, 50, is charged with making sexual advances toward a DIRECTV salesman who knocked on the door of his Lane Road home about 7:15 p.m. on July 11. A warrant for Anderson’s arrest was issued yesterday afternoon.

Anderson, town administrator since October 2010, did not answer the knock initially but stuck his arm outside and waved the salesman inside, according to a police affidavit.

The salesman, who was making random calls in the neighborhood, was surprised when he stepped inside and saw Anderson without any clothes on, thinking he had just gotten out of the shower.

But Anderson did not get dressed as the salesman continued his pitch with his back turned toward Anderson, the four-page affidavit said.

The salesman said Anderson told him it was a “nudist home.”

Anderson invited the salesman to take off his own clothes and to return later for a party. He also asked the man if he were gay, the affidavit said. Then he began to masturbate.

The salesman left the home and contacted his supervisor, who came to the scene and called 911 when he saw how upset the salesman was. Anderson ran from the home before police arrived and drove off in a blue Toyota, the affidavit said.

The car was found later that night by police outside Salty Lane Stables down the road, unlocked with the keys inside. Anderson went to the Derry Police Department the next day to pick up the keys, the affidavit said.

The salesman later identified Anderson from a police photo lineup.

Rockingham County Attorney James Reams said Anderson’s attorney, whose name was not available, was talking with authorities about having the town administrator turn himself in to police in response to the arrest warrant. Anderson would then face arraignment in Circuit Court.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
New Hampshire

ET Videos