EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

New Hampshire archives

January 24, 2008

Police officers lauded as heroes for saving man's life

PELHAM - When they responded to a 911 emergency call Tuesday night on Tallant Road, Patrolman Matthew Keenliside and Sgt. Michael Pickles had no idea what they would find.

The screen door was open when they arrived, and the police officers pushed their way inside. In the living room, they found a woman kneeling on the floor trying to resuscitate her 59-year-old husband.

"She was frantic," Pickles said.

The woman told police that her husband had seemed fine, and then he suddenly "just dropped." She called police at 7:45 p.m. When the officers arrived, he wasn't breathing and was unresponsive.

"He was on his back in the living room," Keenliside said. "She was on the ground with him doing CPR."

Pickles found the telephone line still open with the 911 operator. He wasn't sure if the operator had been walking her through first-aid instructions.

"It seemed like that," he said. "She said she wasn't sure if she was doing it right."

The officers knew what they had to do, and they had come prepared.

Pickles and Keenliside were carrying a portable device - called a ZOLL automated external defibrillator, which has been installed in Pelham police cruisers since last month. The device assesses the patient's condition and recommends a course of action to restore a person's heartbeat or regulate the heart rhythm.

The officers followed the directions to deliver two shocks to the man's chest and successfully resuscitated him.

Rescue workers from the Pelham Fire Department then took over and transported the patient to Saints Medical Center in Lowell, Mass. The man's name is not being released because of patient confidentiality laws. Police Lt. Gary Fisher said the man remains in the hospital's intensive care unit.

Keenliside and Pickles are being credited with saving the man's life, but the officers are sharing the credit with the Fire Department.

"Those guys are the reason he's still alive," said Keenliside, who before Tuesday night had seen the Fire Department use the defibrillator but never had to use it himself. Pickles said the Fire Department's efforts were heroic.

Fire Chief Michael Walker said the Fire Department's medical technicians were only in a position to provide advanced life support at the scene and get the patient to the hospital alive because the police officers had used the defibrillator.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Latest News
New Hampshire archives

NDN Video
Netanyahu Vows to Destroy Hamas Tunnels Obama Slams Republicans Over Lawsuit House Leaders Trade Blame for Inaction Malaysian PM: Stop Fighting in Ukraine Cantor Warns of Instability, Terror in Farewell Ravens' Ray Rice: 'I Made a Huge Mistake' Florida Panther Rebound Upsets Ranchers Small Plane Crash in San Diego Parking Lot Busy Franco's Not Afraid of Overexposure Fighting Blocks Access to Ukraine Crash Site Dangerous Bacteria Kills One in Florida Workers Dig for Survivors After India Landslide Texas Scientists Study Ebola Virus Smartphone Powered Paper Plane Debuts at Airshow Southern Accent Reduction Class Cancelled in TN
Photos of the Week