EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

January 29, 2008

Pelham man dies, another hurt in I-495 crash

By Margo Sullivan , Staff writer

PELHAM - A local man was killed and a co-worker was injured in a three-vehicle crash yesterday on Interstate 495 in Andover, Mass.

Lawrence Belodeau, 57, of Gordon Avenue in Pelham was a passenger in a car rear-ended by a pickup truck, according to Massachusetts State Police Trooper Eric Benson.

The car, a 2008 Honda Civic, was driven by a co-worker, Mark Neskey, 33, of Bush Hill Road in Pelham. Neskey suffered minor injuries. He was treated at Lawrence General Hospital and released.

Belodeau was taken by ambulance to Lawrence General Hospital and was pronounced dead. Funeral arrangements are incomplete, according to Dolan Funeral Home in Chelmsford, Mass. The funeral home said no information about the family was available.

The accident, which is under investigation, sent two other people to the hospital with minor injuries.

The truck's driver, Stephen Hollins, 42, of Franklin was driving north in the right lane when the crash occurred about 7:25 a.m., said Trooper Daniel O'Brien.

Hollins was unable to stop when traffic came to a halt, police said. His truck crashed into the back of Neskey's car, which also was in the right lane. The impact pushed the Honda across the highway until it came to a stop in the median, police said.

Meanwhile, the truck continued in the right lane and struck the rear of a second car, a 2006 Saturn Vue, driven by Angela Klein of Nashua. Klein and Hollins also were treated at Lawrence General Hospital and released.

Benson said a state police collision analysis and reconstruction team has examined roadside debris from the accident and tire tracks and will reconstruct the crash.

State police crime scene investigators took photographs and interviewed witnesses. Benson said a report will follow.

Belodeau leaves his wife, Mary. No spokesman for the family was available to comment last night.

"He was enjoying life," said neighbor Theresa Tenczar, rubbing her arm nervously as she shed tears. "It's sad."

Belodeau also has two adult daughters and a grandchild, Tenczar said.

Tenczar said she did not know Belodeau's background, but knew him for more than 20 years as a neighbor.

"He used to come and sit with me and my husband on the front steps when we first met," she said.

Tenczar said Belodeau was friendly.

"When he moved in, he didn't have electricity and we let him tag on ours," she said.

Tenczar said Belodeau had a sleek new mobile home and enjoyed having his wife's relatives over for cookouts.

"It gives me goose bumps," she said, to realize he has died.

Neskey was resting yesterday afternoon at his sister's home. He was upset and did not want to discuss the accident, the sister said. Neskey and Belodeau were on their way to work when the accident occurred, she said.