EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA


November 10, 2013

Pentucket surges into North finals with victory

WEST NEWBURY — After watching Pentucket fullback Andrew Noyes bust through the line for yet another first down, an exasperated Watertown defender looked at his teammates with confusion.

“We know what they’re going to do,” he screamed. “Why can’t we stop it?”

Like so many teams that have lined up against the Sachems this season, they may have known the plan, but they could do nothing to slow the Green and White.

Top-seeded Pentucket burst out to a 14-point first-half lead and surged to a 23-13 victory over Watertown in the Division 4 North semifinals yesterday in front of approximately 1,000 fans.

The victory sends the Sachems to the Division 4 North final, where they will host No. 3 Bedford on Saturday at 1:30 p.m.

“It’s just crazy,” said quarterback/defensive back Ryan Kuchar. “It’s so awesome we have made it this far and we have earned everything. It’s really the greatest feeling in the world. It’s unreal.”

Senior tri-captain Chris Croteau admitted that even he was stunned that the Sachems — who many assumed were facing a rebuilding season in 2013 — were now two wins away from playing for a Super Bowl title at Gillette Stadium.

“Part of me still can’t believe it,” said the guard/linebacker. “It’s a little unexpected, but I am so happy. We came out firing today and everyone on this team deserves it.”

The Sachems wasted little time taking control yesterday.

Watertown took the opening kickoff and marched to the Pentucket 23-yard line, but defensive back Liam Corkery intercepted Raiders QB Nick Giordano to kill the opportunity.

The Sachems then set out on a 12-play, 60-yard drive that ate up more than six minutes and ended with a 20-yard touchdown run by fullback Andrew Noyes.

“Scoring first was such a huge key to the momentum of the game,” said Kuchar. “We score that first one and it really helped our confidence.”

Text Only | Photo Reprints

Local Sports Videos
Sports Videos
Boston Sports