Haverhill man's crime record has 88 charges

Courtesy photoKevin McCarthy.

HAVERHILL — Police said they searched for Kevin McCarthy for a month while he was on the run from a domestic assault charge.

But investigators said there is much more to the criminal history of McCarthy —  88 charges dating back to mid-1988 that include assault and battery, kidnapping, assault to kill, threats, restraining order violations and larceny. He is also a Level 2 sex offender, police said.

McCarthy, 45, of 164 Golden Hill Ave., Haverhill, had his latest day in court on Monday. He appeared in Haverhill District Court on a charge of assault and battery on a girlfriend that police said happened in May. His bail on a previous charge was revoked, leaving him behind bars for the immediate future.

He was also in court for a continuance of another charge of assault and battery and malicious destruction of property stemming from an October 16, 2015, incident involving another girlfriend, police said.

McCarthy will remain in Middleton jail until at least next Tuesday, when he will appear in Haverhill court again for a review of his latest case.

Long before his arrest on Aug. 9 by Haverhill and Hampton, New Hampshire, police and Massachusetts State Police at a home in Hampton, McCarthy was well known among law enforcement agencies in the Merrimack Valley.

Methuen police issued a public alert for McCarthy in mid-July after his ex-girlfriend filed an application for an emergency restraining order.

The woman told police she had moved in earlier with McCarthy. She said she he had been dating him for a year and a half and he had been "physically and mentally abusive since she can remember."

When police arrived at the woman's Methuen home, she had two black eyes, which she said were from a fall unrelated to McCarthy. She did tell police, however, that McCarthy had pulled her hair, slapped her and punched her "four or five times until she stopped counting" two weeks earlier.

She told police she was afraid of McCarthy, who had repeatedly said she was "not allowed to leave the house or him." Police then contacted a judge who issued a restraining order. 

A warrant was also issued for McCarthy's arrest.

On July 15, Methuen detectives doing surveillance in the Mark Avenue area spotted McCarthy. But as police pursued him, McCarthy hopped a fence, ran through tall grass and evaded officers, according to police. 

In a bulletin issued that day, Methuen residents were urged to use caution and not approach McCarthy due to his "violent criminal history," and instead dial 911 if they saw him.

Following his Aug. 9 arrest in Hampton, during which he initially barricaded himself inside a home there, McCarthy was charged with being a fugitive from justice and resisting arrest. He was held without bail.

The second assault and battery charge from October 2015 involved an East Hampstead woman who had been in an "intimate dating relationship" with McCarthy for two weeks, according to a police report.

She told police that McCarthy grabbed her face during an argument and smashed her iPhone at his Haverhill home. She said McCarthy was harassing her and accused her of cheating on him. She told police she had an altercation with him in North Andover and was advised to seek a restraining order.

Court records indicate McCarthy is self-employed and divorced.

Reporter Jill Harmacinski contributed to this report.

Follow Peter Francis on Twitter @PeterMFrancis and on Tout @PFrancis