DANVILLE — The Planning Board continues to review plans for a $100 million shopping plaza and retirement community that some residents fear will disrupt their small town.
Representatives for Ozzir Properties with go before the board tomorrow night to present answers to numerous questions raised by members. The project would be built off Route 111 near Frye Road. It was first proposed about a year ago.
Ozzir and the board have been collaborating for months on plans for the 16-business Crown Plaza and a retirement community, The Royal Crest of Danville, that would serve more than 200 residents.
Ozzir spokesman Arthur Pappas said yesterday he hopes to receive preliminary site plan approval by June, but Planning Board Chairman Barry Hantman said many requirements still need to be satisfied before the panel votes.
"They are still providing the information that the board wants in order to eventually make a decision," he said. "They are slowly going through the list."
Pappas said among the issues to be addressed tomorrow are drainage and public safety concerns because of increased calls to the police and fire departments.
Last month, planners considered a waiver request for the construction of sidewalks at Royal Crest. Board members visited the site May 1.
"It's moving along," Pappas said of the project. "There are a lot of requests from the town. It just takes a long time to get through them."
After receiving preliminary approval, Ozzir needs the state Department of Transportation to OK the road plan, which could take four or five months, Pappas said. Final site plan approval would then be needed from the Planning Board.
The 50,000-square-foot shopping plaza would feature 14 retail stores, a gas station/convenience store and a restaurant. The proposed assisted and independent care facility would be nearly 300,000 square feet and include a medical office.
Some residents are concerned about the project's potential impact on their community.
"Whatever we allow now is certainly the forerunner of what's to come," Kacie Lane resident Julie Sorensen told the board at a public hearing last fall.
Residents told the board they were concerned about noise and a loss of privacy, among other issues.
Hantman and Pappas said while many people support the project, abutters are opposed.
"The people who live near it are concerned and rightfully so," Hantman said. "It's going to be a big change to their neighborhood.
"It's expected," he said. "It's a lot to hit them with."
Pappas has said construction is expected to take two or three years.
• • •
Join the discussion. To comment on stories and see what others are saying, log on to eagletribune.com.